In the first book of the ILLOREAEN sagas there is already hints that the Illoreaens were just starting to develop the concepts of computers. It is hinted that the computers will be in the form of spheres that could grow into crystal balls.
Crystal balls have fascinated me since understanding how computers work, many years ago.
I realised that the properties of the attributes of the mythical crystal-ball was exactly what I would expect from the ultimate super computer:
- It would be made from extremely pure silicon or similar translucent semi-conductive material.
- It must require very little energy to run, for example the heat flow towards a heat sink from an operator’s hand or from a small flame that heats a specific area of the crystal.
- It could be contain so many transistor equivalents, layered in three dimensions, that it would be able to store huge amounts of data. (More than Google, Amazon etc. is storing in all their servers)
- It would be able to contain many processing units (near the surface to allow cooling) to process this huge amount of data. It could yield information on probabilities of specific occurrences.
- The information can be presented in many forms to present the calculated probabilities and thereby to make predictions.
- It would be able to form three dimensional images. In the case of a crystal ball this can be achieved by generating LCD pixels, forming images at different depths of the crystal. The curve of the translucent semi-conductor material forming a lens enlarging the 3D images.
- An operator would be able to look into the translucent crystal ball to read three dimensional displays or even writing or runes. The crystal ball would be able to create sounds but strangely enough the crystal ball myths don’t mention this ability. (Except maybe when the operator claims to be a medium and get the crystal ball to emulate voices?
- The crystal ball would be able to transmit and receive electronic signals in all electro-magnetic frequency bands, from RF to light with tuned conducting materials near the surface to act as antennas.
- The operator would be able to communicate with the super computer (crystal-ball) in many ways:
- By holding it in his hands and communicating by pressure.
- By looking at it and change of expressions or eye movement, which the super computer (crystal ball) can read and analyse. This would include gestures and other body movement as well as face recognition and further recognition features.
- An operator could focus on the crystal ball while thinking, allowing the crystal ball to to receive the operators electrical brain waves and interpret them as data inputs or instructions.
- The operator could communicate audibly with the crystal ball.
Many more features can be added. Please send me your suggestions.
Our forebears were much more sophisticated than the ignorance that is generally assumed.
They probably developed advanced technology, including crystal balls long ago during world wide disruptions of their lives.
The first book in the ILLOREAEN SAGA series, ‘CATASTROPHE! (available on kindle – or UK), is available now. The series are set in the time before, during and immediately after the Toba super volcano Catastrophe. It tells the tale of how a few survivors managed to escape the world-wide destruction and established a foot-hold where humans could start anew.
377total visits,2visits today